Sunday, September 21, 2008

There are some things in life...

Some things that you can't escape, some things that happen despite living a good life, some things that happen regardless of race, religion, gender or age. One of these things happened to me (not me exactly but a family member) and I'm struggling to make sense of it, struggling to cope, and struggling to stay positive.

This is one of those things that make people find religion, not an option for me. So what do I turn to? What do I do when I can't fix the issue. I really don't know yet. In just 24 hours time, I've seen different responses to this, none are wrong but none help me. My wife asked the very poignant question today, "In times like this, how do you cope?". I knew what she meant, as I am atheist through and through.

As an atheist I have a different view of the world. To me the world is a logical set of inevitabilities. There are no reasons for things happening other than the fact that they do. Many look to outside influences (religion) to help explain why things happen. They look to these same outside influences to soften the blow and for the strength to move forward. I don't see it that way, in fact, quite the opposite.

I see religion as an excuse to stop thinking. I see it as debilitating and an offense to humanity today. No, I won't turn to religion. I'm not a terribly spiritual person either and so I won't turn to spirituality. What does that leave? Science? Sure, I've studied the problem and I do have a greater understanding of the why's, how's, and what's but that's not a soft squishy pillow to make me sleep better. So, what do I do?

I don't know yet...but I'll let you know when I do.

1 comment:

Mr. Fuccioni said...

Hey T'man....

Finanly got a post up.....nice. I know your a source of strenghth....keep it up and try to stay positive.